Post Vasectomy Instructions
It is normal to have aching, pressure, and/or discomfort shortly after the procedure. You may notice minimal bleeding, bruising, or swelling on the scrotum.
Call 864-735-8893 to talk to Dr. Delfino if you have any questions or concerns, any time of day.
1. Wear a scrotum support for at least 48 hours after the vasectomy, longer if you need it for comfort and for 7 days if playing sports or working vigorously.
2. Take it easy for the remainder of the day and avoid strenuous effort (sports, weight lifting, heavy work, swimming) for 72 hours.
3. May return to sexual activity after one week, but must use an alternative form of contraception for 12 weeks and at least 20 ejaculations until your semen sample has been analyzed by Dr. Delfino and we have confirmed with you that your semen is sperm free.
4. No diet changes except avoid alcohol consumption as it may promote bleeding.
5. May apply an ice pack to the scrotum for comfort.
6. Take Tylenol, not ibuprofen alleve or aspririn, as needed at home.
7. Ok to shower after 24 hours, bath after 7 days.
8. Must bring a semen sample back to be checked in 12 weeks.
9. Must use an alternative form of contraception for 12 weeks and at least 20 ejaculations until your semen sample has been analyzed by Dr. Delfino and we have confirmed with you that your semen is sperm free.